Match Report

Trowbridge Town 
0 - 1
 AFC Stratton

League (Wiltshire Football League Premier Division)
Saturday, October 25th, 2003
Referee: Bill Hawkins
3:00 PM Kick-off

Trowbridge finally lost their unbeaten run in their thirteenth competitive match of the season, to a very well organised Stratton side. The visitors nearly took the lead in the first minute; Adam Sheppard being forced to make a save with his legs. Trowbridge found it difficult with the wind in their faces and had to wait until a 24th minute error by the Stratton defence for their first opportunity. Dave Mitchell intercepted a back pass and fed the ball to Dave Percival but the 'keeper just got back in time to deflect Percival's shot for a corner. Dave Mitchell met the corner but his overhead kick went just wide. Trowbridge welcomed the half time whistle with the hope that the wind might assist them in the second half but it was Stratton who nearly scored in the first minute again. Jerry Wright saw his effort go wide for Stratton and the away side looked more likely to break the deadlock. Wright again went close with a shot that rebounded from the right hand post straight into the arms of Adam Sheppard. The breakthrough came on the hour, Rob Broadbanks gaining possession just outside the penalty area. His run took him into a goalscoring opportunity and despite a touch from Adam Sheppard the finish was good enough to give Stratton a deserved lead. Trowbridge were much better after this setback but the stern Stratton defence and a solid goalkeeping performance kept the home side out. Waleed Bakali and Dave Percival both had shots saved by the goalkeeper and the last ten minutes produced a number of corners as Stratton fought to hold onto their lead. Substitute, Lee Wilson managed to beat the goalkeeper in the dying minutes but there were two defenders on the line, one of which headed the ball away for a corner. Trowbridge may well have grabbed a point but it wasn't to be and Stratton went away as the first team to beat Trowbridge this season and three hard earned points.

Report by Robin Sims