Trowbridge Town 4-0 Corsham Town Reserves, Saturday, August 31st, 2002, ( Trowbridge Town Football Club Archive)

Trowbridge Town 4 - 0 Corsham Town Reserves

League - Wiltshire Football League Premier Division
Saturday, August 31st, 2002, 3:00 PM
A good second half performance produced a large winning margin for Trowbridge. Just what they needed to keep up with the leaders in the Wiltshire Premier League. Corsham nearly took the lead after seven minutes, a chested lay-off led to a looping shot that hit the crossbar. The rebound produced an even better chance but Sheppard saved superbly to keep the sheet clean. The opening goal came after 14 minutes in somewhat bizarre fashion. A free kick was floated in by Adam Nunn and Tim Waylen just failed to get his head to the ball. This unintentional dummy caught everyone unawares and the ball found it's way into the net. Towards the end of the first half, Trowbridge nearly increased their lead, Mitchell shooting just wide after a good turn.

In the second half, the home side dominated the game and increased their lead after just five minutes. After winning the ball in a midfield encounter the ball was knocked forward to Mitchell and this time he made no mistake, slotting the ball home after beating a defender. Corsham nearly pulled a goal back after 20 minutes, they were awarded a free kick and the cross was headed against a post and subsequently cleared off the line. In the 70th minute, Lee Wilson did well to break from defence and set up an opportunity for Dave Mitchell who, having rounded the keeper saw his shot cleared off the line by a defender. The resultant corner, taken by Gavin Eyre, produced the third goal. A firm header from Lewis Haldane which gave the Corsham goalkeeper no chance from six yards. Haldane became provider for the last goal when he crossed the ball from the left wing. Substitute Steve Wickens controlled the ball well and fired the ball into the roof of the net to score the goal of the match from 20 yards. A comfortable win for Trowbridge although credit to Corsham who found the woodwork twice.

Report by Robin Sims.