Bemerton Heath Harlequins 0-3 Trowbridge Town, Tuesday, January 14th, 2003, ( Trowbridge Town Football Club Archive)

Bemerton Heath Harlequins 0 - 3 Trowbridge Town

Wiltshire Senior Cup Match
Tuesday, January 14th, 2003, 7:45 PM
Trowbridge finally went back into action with their first competitive match since November 30th. The wait was worth it though as Trowbridge turned on the style to progress in the Wilts Senior Cup, against Wessex League opposition. A bright start saw Bemerton catch Trowbridge on the break a couple of times with forwards finding space on the right, one of these chances went high over the cross-bar from the edge of the area and second chance after seven minutes produced an excellent save by Sheppard, pushing the ball round the left hand post for a corner. Trowbridge started to build attacks quickly, moving the ball well from defence, through the the midfield and subsequently feeding the ball out to both wings where the pace of Percival & Eyre caused problems for Bemerton. In the tenth minute, Little was fouled and Eyre hit the left hand post with a clever free-kick from about 25 yards. There were further chances but an enjoyable first half finished goalless.
Early in the second half, Little flicked a header against the post from a corner and Trowbridge began to take control of the game. A good effort from Nunn in the 55th minute went straight into the arms of the goalkeeper and then a minute later Percival was tripped in the area and a penalty was awarded. Percival's first attempt was saved by the goalkeeper but the Assistant Referee saw that the 'keeper had moved forward and Percival scored with the re-take. Shortly afterwards, Eyre curled a shot just over the bar after a good move down the right. Bemerton pushed up looking for the equaliser but the Trowbridge defence looked tighter than the first half, Barnes, Saunderson & Wilson all playing with confidence. In the 73rd minute, Nunn scored the second goal; a shot from just outside the area flew into the corner through a crowd of players. With eight minutes remaining, Trowbridge wrapped up the scoring. Bloodworth, having come on for Bakali, striking a good shot from just inside the area. The ball hitting the same part of the netting that Nunn had found earlier. This was an excellent performance from Trowbridge. It was just what they needed after long lay-off. Everybody playing their part in a good team performance.

Report by Robin Sims,

Programme cover