Wroughton 2-2 Trowbridge Town, Saturday, November 17th, 2001, ( Trowbridge Town Football Club Archive)

Wroughton 2 - 2 Trowbridge Town

(Lost 4 - 2 on pens.)
Wiltshire Senior Cup - 1st Round
Saturday, November 17th, 2001, 2:00 PM
For the second time this season, Trowbridge had to concede defeat via the farce of a penalty shoot-out. This must have been hard to accept after such a good team performance in a cup tie during which they dominated much of the play. The best period of the match for Wroughton was the first half, they attacked from the start and produced the first chance, a header that went straight at goalkeeper Shepherd. The game then settled and it was not until the 35th minute that Wroughton established a lead. The ball was played past defender Daniel Barnes and Glen Armstrong produced an excellent finish to beat Sheppard from just outside the penalty area. Trowbridge were level just a minute later. A Wroughton defender handled in the area but the ball broke to Lewis Haldane who made no mistake from close range to avoid the need for a penalty decision. Just before the break, Trowbridge had two really good chances to take the lead. The first was a header from Chris Henry that went the wrong side of the post and the second following a superb pass from Haldane produced a chance for Andy Doel. The shot from Doel beat the goalkeeper but he was denied when the ball smashed against the crossbar to keep the scores level at half time.

Trowbridge produced a number of chances in the second half, the most memorable being a header from Barnes that went over the goalkeeper but was cleared by a defender. The clearance only went as far as Henry who's powerfully hit shot was then saved by the goalkeeper. Trowbridge then lost goalkeeper Sheppard with a injury and were forced to bring on veteran keeper Ian Diamond. During the first period of extra time Diamond unfortunately seemed to slip when reaching for a cross and as the ball became free from his grasp Shaun Clark was on hand to give Wroughton the lead. Trowbridge now showed great determination and were level shortly afterwards, Andy Doel scoring from inside the area after a scramble. With no addition to the score in the second period of extra time it was time for penalties again.

Report by Robin Sims.