Biddestone FC 1-2 Trowbridge Town, Saturday, November 24th, 2001, ( Trowbridge Town Football Club Archive)

Biddestone FC 1 - 2 Trowbridge Town

League - Wiltshire Football League Premier Division
Saturday, November 24th, 2001, 2:30 PM
Biddestone caught Trowbridge on the break after only three minutes and with much of the crowd appealing for offside Steve Healy gave the home side an early lead after rounding Chris Vaughan, the Trowbridge goalkeeper. Despite this early setback, Trowbridge had the better of the first half, the equaliser coming after 15 minutes, following some good midfield play. Gordon Saunderson gained ground on the right and found himself temporarily adopting a centre forward role as he chipped the Biddestone goalkeeper from just inside the penalty area. For the remainder of the first half Trowbridge always looked the more likely team to score with some good positive crosses from Adam Nunn on the left wing. However, Biddestone did force two corners, one of which went straight across the face of the goalmouth but nobody was there to apply the required finish.

With all to play for in the second half Trowbridge lost control of the game for a while and Biddestone nearly took the lead after 60 minutes, Chris Vaughan brilliantly pushing a shot over the bar with a reflex save. Biddestone rarely troubled Chris Vaughan after that and the Trowbridge forwards just seemed to lack the final pass that would have created an opportunity. Fresh legs were therefore needed and Mike Little came on with about ten minutes remaining. His extra pace put pressure on the Biddestone defence and he was in the right place to score the winner from close range when O'Pray cut the ball back following a good run with only five minutes left. Manager Alan Roberts said that he was proud to be the manager of a squad of players that fought to the end and that once again they had showed character to bounce back after a penalty shoot-out defeat from the previous week.

Report by Robin Sims.