Marlborough Town 2-3 Trowbridge Town, Saturday, March 10th, 2001, ( Trowbridge Town Football Club Archive)

Marlborough Town 2 - 3 Trowbridge Town

League - Wiltshire Football League Premier Division
Saturday, March 10th, 2001, 2:30 PM
Trowbridge won their fourth away match in a row on Saturday when they visited bottom of the table, Marlborough Town. It was no easy ride however, as the home side chased and challenged every ball with the wind at their backs in the first half. The first chance fell the Marlborough after just two minutes. A mistake by Ben Gardner allowed Sly to gain possession. His cross was met by Crease who failed to take the opportunity by screwing his shot wide. Trowbridge failed to create a chance until the fortieth minute. A long clearance from Mark Edwards was picked up by Adam Smith. Using his pace, Adam made his way past two defenders and his deflected cross sat up nicely allowing Mike Little to steer the ball onto the net. Marlborough almost equalised immediately, the ball bouncing off a post into the arms of Kirky takes over in goal.Chris Vaughan.

Ten minutes into the second half, a free kick from Paul Shanley found it's way past everyone waiting in the penalty area and nestled itself into the bottom left corner of the net to make the score 2-0. Two minutes later, Mick Dobson found some room on the left and pulled a goal back for Marlborough with a good left foot finish. With three minutes remaining Adam Smith was fouled on the edge of the area and the resultant free kick coming in from the left was met by Tim Waylen to make it 3-1. In the last minute of the match, the referee played on when Saunderson was clearly fouled. Chris Vaughan was then injured as he turned the ball onto the crossbar and Steve Dene followed up to score a second for Marlborough. Trowbridge defender Neil Kirkpatrick had to take over goalkeeping responsibilities during injury time and was naturally pleased to keep a clean sheet!

Report by Robin Sims.

Below: Striker, Neil Kirkpatrick - Stand in Goal-keeper!