Trowbridge Town 1-0 Harrow Hill, Saturday, December 4th, 2004, ( Trowbridge Town Football Club Archive)

Trowbridge Town 1 - 0 Harrow Hill

League - Hellenic League Div 1 West
Saturday, December 4th, 2004, 3:00 PM
Attendance: 126
Vital win keeps Town at the top.

Harrow Hill proved to be tough visitors but Trowbridge came through to retain their top spot in the league table. Early on, Dave Mitchell tried a very difficult overhead kick that went straight to Ricky Beckett, the Harrow goalkeeper. Harrow then spurned a golden opportunity to take the lead after 10 minutes. Craig Guthrie made a fine save diving to his left and Waleed Bakali fouled and incoming Harrow forward to concede a penalty. Guthrie made a fine stop with a dive to his right to keep the score-line goalless.
The game then seemed to become over physical, which spoiled some of the good football that both sides were capable of playing. Trowbridge though, looked the more likely to break the deadlock. Dave Percival put in a good cross from the left on 16 minutes but Beckett punched the ball away before Gavin Eyre could get to the ball. Five minutes before the break. Dave Mitchell, who seemed to be involved in everything, was fouled and this time is was Trowbridge who spurned an opportunity. Dave Percival’s spot kick saw Beckett repeat Guthries’ earlier heroics by diving to his left and keeping the game goalless.

Fortunately, both sides put aside their differences in the second half and produced a nail biting second half with some good play from both. Five minutes into the second half, Bakali threaded a pass out to Ricky Trott on the left wing and Trott took the ball on nicely down the line then crossed for Dave Mitchell to score from close range. Harrow immediately tried to fight back and Trowbridge had to defend strongly. Luke Smith in particular putting in a superb performance with some timely tackles and interceptions. In the 59th minute, Harrow thought that they had equalised but the goal was ruled out for offside and Trowbridge survived. Shortly afterwards, Steve Bryant cleared off the line for the home side and there were many nervous home spectators as the game approached the last 15 minutes. Trowbridge settled again though and created a few more chances. Adam Nunn had a volley deflected for a corner and Bakali shot just wide with about 8 minutes remaining. Harrow also had one opportunity that went over the bar in the latter stages but they also lost Paul Frowen who was the unfortunate last man as he stopped Adam Nunn going through on goal.

Report by Robin Sims

Programme cover