Trowbridge Town 3-1 Tytherington Rocks, Monday, January 3rd, 2005, ( Trowbridge Town Football Club Archive)

Trowbridge Town 3 - 1 Tytherington Rocks

League - Hellenic League Div 1 West
Monday, January 3rd, 2005, 2:15 PM
Attendance: 238
Trowbridge Take New Year Honours.

Trowbridge took the New Year Honours in this "match of the day". They created enough chances in the first half to win comfortably but Tytherington made Trowbridge work hard in the second. The first goal came after just six minutes. An Adam Nunn cross from the left reached Gavin Eyre on the other wing and his pin-point cross was headed home beautifully by Matt Cooper from the edge of the six yard box. Trowbridge piled on the pressure, Bakali shot just wide on 12 minutes and Cooper just failed to set up Percival in the 25th minute when his pass across the front of goal was too heavy. In the 26th minute, Andy Bloodworth nearly made it two but his shot was deflected wide, (see picture above). In the 28th minute, Gavin Eyre was denied by a goal line clearance and a minute later the same player scooped a chance over the bar following a good cross from Percival. Tytherington had only previously threatened the Trowbridge goal once with a free kick early on and it was from a similar position that they drew level. Twain Plummer with a comfortable header at the back post giving Craig Guthrie no chance. Just before half time, Trowbridge were back in the lead. Gavin Eyre again the provider with a great cross from the left that Dave Percival met with a powerful header that scraped the underside of the crossbar on it's way into the net.

The second half started in a similar vein, Waleed Bakali nearly making it three in the 54th minute with a fine shot from outside the area that struck a post. A minute later Dave Percival saw a fine shot saved by Rob Dent the Tytherington goalkeeper. Having ridden their luck, the visitors started to hit Trowbridge on the break and all early chances that hadn't been converted started to count for nothing. In the 59th minute Tytherington had a goal disallowed for offside and in the 68th minute a free kick hit the Trowbridge wall and Gary Cripps shot just wide.
Although Trowbridge always looked the better side and the more likely to score towards the end there was always a chance that Tytherington would break away and grab a point. One chance dipped just over the bar as a nervous bank holiday crowd looked on, Trowbridge nearly grabbed a third when Andy Bloodworth put Adam Nunn through and he set up Percival but his shot went just wide. With time running out, Rob Dent went up for a Tytherington corner and when the ball was cleared, top scorer Dave Percival ran on to coolly slot the ball into an empty net and make the game safe. Trowbridge claimed a deserved three points and both sides provided fine entertainment for a good crowd of 238.

Report by Robin Sims

Below: Tytherington pack their defence as Andy Bloodworth tries a shot in the first half. Picture courtesy of Paul Ratnet.

Programme cover